RE: Tesla Coiling / High Voltage Research Topics

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Dan -

One of the biggest TC mysteries of today is that coilers do not know the
input energy of a particular spark output. To determine the real joules
(watt seconds) of input energy for any one of all those random extra long
sparks that coilers talk about requires more research. This is important
because these spark lengths are being used to compare coils. This comparison
makes no sense because without without knowing the energy input for the
particular spark comparing them is useless.

I have mentioned how this could possibly be done in previous posts but there
appeared to be little interest. Start by using the proper instrumentation.
You need to know input volts, amps, and watts. You can ignore the problem of
wave shape and power factor for the time being. You need to find the energy
per spark, not just volts ,amps, and watts. I do not believe any coiler has
ever found these unique spark energies in spite of the fact that coilers
refer to them. However, many coilers have done similar tests but the problem
of the spark watts and time to give the input watt seconds for a certain
length spark has never been solved. This research will require the
researcher to design, build, and test many different types of TC's.

John Couture