Re: xenon flash tubes as gaps Re: Zener SSTC?

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Chris,

Those lamps are EXPLOSIVE.  When handling wear face shields, long sleeve
heavy clothing and gloves.  They MUST be ignited only in lamphouses built to
withstand the schrapnel produced.  At operating temprature they can go up to
20 ATM pressure, and can explode with the force of a hand grenade.  DO NOT
TOUCH THE GLASS WITH BARE HANDS.  Fingerprints will burn into the glass and
cause an explosion.  If there are fingerprints on the glass clean the glass
with alcohol before use.

Used lamps are more prone to explosion.  If I were you, I'd take them and
wrap them in a packing blanket and then crush them with a hammer.  They are
too dangerous to play with.

I just had one explode tonight in the followspot that I was operating.  Are
those things ever loud when they go off at operating temprature.  It pretty
much deafened all of us in the spot booth.

David E Weiss