Re: VTTC with 8163

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/18/04 8:23:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: brent meyer <res095fx-at-verizon-dot-net>
>
>I have just recieved a nice surplus CO2 laser power supply that used an
>Eimac 3-400Z/ 8163 for an output regulator.  Came with a 5.3KV 150 mA
>transformer and a couple of small caps as well.  The max plate voltage for
>the tube is 4KV, so I'm left wondering how I'm going to go about throwing
>away around 3.5 KV in the filters...  Things could get ugly if B+ arrived
>before the filament was warmed up.
>
>I'm looking at building a medium sized VTTC, and was wondering if anyone had
>any suggestions regarding secondary size beyond building something
>resembling a copy of Steve's 833 coil.

The 8163 will work nicely in my coil design at:

<http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html>http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

There's a schematic at the bottom of the page for my staccato
coil using (2) 833A tubes, but the same schematic also works
with a single smaller tube.  The coil can be built without the
staccato SCR and circuit.  This coil uses a 3" x 12" secondary.
Using the single tube will give you about a 19" spark probably.
Your tube can probably handle 5kVAC.  I'd recommend running
it on raw AC for longest spark output.  Just run the transformer
from a variac to adjust the input voltage as needed.

John