Re: Joules per bang...

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

dont give up on the joules thing quite yet    it took me a few moments to
figure it out too...

anyway...   joules are best used in capacitor discharge systems and the
amount of time the capacitor is discharged

to find joules,  the (C X Vsquared)/2 gives you joules

(.002 X 1,000,000)/2 = 1000

example    2000uF -at- 1000VDC  =  1000J     now if the cap is discharged
during a time duration of 1 second it will produce 1000 watts of
energy    now here is the awesome thing...    say you dump that charge into
a load in under ...  lets say...    .0001 seconds....   the pulse power in
watts is 10 megawatts...   yuppers  10 million watts of energy at a
pulse... but it only lasted 1/1000 of a second...  no wonder why the wires
evaporated  ;) ...  no wonder why coin shrinkers work...  :)

soooo...   in effect, ( more to real life for coiling)  you have 15KV in a
.05 uF cap with a gap firing at 120Hz....

this gives    5.625 J per bang     (considering that the cap is fully
charged at  firing of the gap)   you should have 675W of energy pulsing
into the primary...    and at 675W per bang at 120 times a second...
thats  81KW per second....   sooooo   either we arent getting full charge
on the caps or my math is terrible....    this raises a new
question....    anyone have an answer???

Scot D