Re: Why do streamers happen?

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hi Gregory...

I may be totally wrong on this but heres my theory..

first off   the streamers are created by the ionization of gases...
when ever a hi voltage differential is placed across a gas( think negative
due to the addition of electron voltage) ( be it any of them, neon,
krypton, argon, nitrogen, oxygen, etc...  and in our case
nitrogen  ...  being the major factor here) it forces the electrons to move
to an upper state ( an outer orbit not normally occupied by the
electrons)   this raises the "power" of the electron ( negative to more
negative, away from the positve value of the nucleus of the atom) ..
if the power is not maintained ( we have a sinusoidal pulse going on with
our coils   e.g. positve/negative wave) , the electron falls back to its
orbit where it wants to " be happy in" and in doing so it has to dump the
energy it had previously recieved....  in a form of a photon...   as for
nitrogen( 80 or so % of the atmospherical gas
level)  the photon released emits a lightwave in the blue to white
region  ( thats why we see blue/white like streamers) actually it produces
several wavelengths of light  from blue to UV   oxygen produces similar
wave lengths ( not to sure exactly which ones..) but in general we see
white, blue, purple, sometimes pink depending on humidity,  all depending
on current flow either from the air or to a ground rod....( streamers to
air are more blue/purple while streamers to a ground rod are more white) ...

ok    now for the weird part....   which way is the current flowing???
is it from the normally ( less than negative)  charged air to the toroid,
or is it from the toroid to the air ( electron flow is preferable for
negative to more positve) ????

Lightning in most cases is produced by the positive charge of the
air/clouds having a positive voltage potential more so than the ground.
Thus the efffect of cloud to ground strike. Electricity seems to want to
take the least resistive path thus we have the river system...   a start
point of many smaller streamers conducting into a main streamer.....

also noticed from many other web sites...  AC coils want to arc to the
primary, or if given enuf power to the ground itself ....   DC coils prefer
to produce arc to the air only  ( something to think about)  ....  the
sword like streamers   usually streaming upwards   not like the normal AC
coils that arc towards the primary...

anyway  enuf of my rambling....

back to my theory...

the super imposed negative voltage produce by a coil which is by the way
connected to a serious RF ground attracts the flow of electrons through the
air/gas to ionize it to a point of photonic emmision   in other words   it
pulls enuf electrons from the air to become ionized      thus the
streamers....AND by having the positive pulse within the 100+KHz cycle
allows the electrons forced to the higher state to fall back to the
original orbit thus producing the "light" we see..

now Im really confused   ;)

Scot D