From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Friday, July 2, 2004 8:53 am
Subject: Re: Magnetic field measurements

 > Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
 >
 >> 	The devil himself seems to have inspired the bewildering sets of
 > unitsfor magnetism and electromagnetism.

Amen to that!

 > I've found that using the gauss and
 > oerstedseem to work just fine for me, and almost all of the
 > magnetic material
 > catalogs I have seen seem to use them still.

Agreed. And some are using a product of Gauss and Oersteds
or Mega-Gauss-Oersteds. Seems that since we're having to go
to "mega" with this measurement we could just use "Tesla-Oersteds"
for this unit ;^)) I suppose it's like the Farad, which is way
too impractically large of a unit for everyday capacitance
measurement as we usually prefix it with "micro" (x10e-6),
"nano" (x10e-9), or even "pico" (x10e-12).

 > The Tesla is too large,
 > while the gauss is of the same order as the earth's field.  Any
 > CONSISTENT system is of course OK.  For electrical units the choice
 > isn't quite as large, although there are the electrostatic system, the
 > electromagnetic system, and now the SI system.
 >
 > 	It's of interest to note that almost all of the units are named for
 > some famous contributor to the field, Gilbert being the first and
 > Gaussand Oersted a couple of centuries behind.  Maxwell is a bit
 > later and
 > Tesla later still, so you pays your money and takes your choice.
 >
 > Ed
 >
 > Ed

And of course let's don't forget the Weber, named after Eduard
Wilhelm Weber, and equal to 10e8 (100 million) Maxwells.

David Rieben