Re: Super Small SSTC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: Super Small SSTC

 > Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <Electrontube-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>
 >
 > Here's some photos of my EXTREMELY small SSTC.  It is overall .78" by 2"
and
 > runs at 8.5MHz off a 13v supply to make 3/8" arcs.
 > http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/electrontube/tintc
 >
 > Regards - Jim

Hmmm, this is looking conceptually an awful lot like a RF power source
driving a resonant circuit.  If I take my 100W HF transceiver and drive a
resonant LC at 14 or even 30 MHz and it flashes over, is that a TC?  A Q of
3-5 should be enough to get above the minimum sparking potential.

I've got some pretty pictures at work of the RF filters in the Mars Rover
with a nice discharge being driven at 10-15Watts. (before they were
redesigned, that is) (mind you, this is at an equivalent earth altitude of
100,000 ft, too).

I think in the "race to the smallest"  there should be some informal rules..
At what point is it just a power oscillator that is poorly insulated instead
of a TC.  For a spark gap coil, there's not a problem, but when you get to
power amplifiers driving a resonant circuit...  Along the same lines.. Is a
flyback with a needle point shooting corona a tesla coil?

I have to say, though, that Jim Mitchell's little coil is pretty nifty.