Re: Quarter Wavelength Frequency

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

For those who may be interested, I just ran the following calculations
using a program with quite accurate inductance calculation and a pretty
good series fitting Medhurst's data.

L/D	length of wire/lambda

0.5	0.228

1.0	0.298

1.5	0.343

2.0	0.374

3.0	0.413

4.0	0.435

5.0	0.449

7.0	0.466

10		0.478

100	0.49998

1000	0.50000

	This is for a coil with no added capacitance.  I've found the program
gives results within 2% of measured value over a fairly wide range of
L/D, so think the trend is significant.  As L/D gets large the ratio
goes to 1/2, just what one would expect with a straight wire.

	Any comments or does someone see an error here?  Antonio?  Paul?

Ed