Re: tesla magnifier

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Anthony" <ant17-at-optushome-dot-com.au>
 >
 > Hi guys I was hoping someone could take the time to explain to me how a
 > tesla magnifier works just basics thanks

A magnifier is a conventional two-coils Tesla coil where a third
coil is inserted between the top of the secondary coil and the
capacitive terminal.
It bahaves much as a conventional Tesla coil, because the effect
of the extra coil is mostly of decreasing the effective coupling
coefficient of the primary-secondary transformer (that must be
quite tight for this reason).
Some other properties are that you can place the high-voltage
output at a safe distance from the primary circuit and the power
supply, and that with proper design it's possible to extract
all the energy from the primary and the secondary systems,
concentrating it on the capacitive load, in less time than with
a two-coils system.
More details, and some math, in:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz