Re: Equivalent lumped inductance and toroidal coils

Hi Paul,

One hairbrained idea that might work is to represent the coil mathmatically
in a suitable coordinate system (for a helical coil maybe this would be a
cylindrical coordiates).  One would target a turn, integrate the
differential current element over the total wiring path to evaluate the H
field at a sampling of points within the cross section of that turn.  Once
the H field is sufficiently sampled, the total flux threading that turn can
be evaluated by integrating B.dA

The H field at the sample point would be:

H(r,phi,z) = integral [wire beginning to wire ending] {(Ids X R}/4piR^2}

Ids X R is a vector cross product of the vectors ds and R (R vector is from
ds to the point being evaluated) and the R in the denominator is the scalor
of the vector R.  With a helical symetry, the integral may be reducable to a
closed form.  If symmetry is lacking then the H field integral could be
evaluated numerically.

The total flux thru a turn from all the current elements would then include
self and mutual coupling (no distinction would then be made).    A current
profile could be assumed or perhaps starting with the base current (or
current at an antinode), compute the current loss do to the displacement
current.

This probably wouldn't be done for helical coils but I use it to explain the
concept.  A lot of number crunching and maybe this is just brut force, but
what the heck.

Gerry R