Re: Equivalent lumped inductance and toroidal coils

Original poster: Bart Anderson <tesla111-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hi Paul,

Yes, the approximation for inductance need not be used. You hypothesized a
typo, so I just figured if true, it would be easy enough to find (it was).

As for measurements, I agree that it would be great if Jarad could perform
some of these since his coils are already wound. If he decides to do so, I
hope he would seek measurement advice prior to taking measurements. That's
something I always like to do to ensure everyone is on the same page.

My hat is off to Jarad for building outside the norm with his toroidal
shaped coil. It captured our attention as any new shape might. It came with
his best reasoning, which is great he's thinking about the physics of the
coil. Others might wind a coil of this nature to simply see how it would
perform and not care to even think about the physics. I hope he researches
more about what was mentioned in various posts.

I agree the inductance is an obvious measurement and easy enough to
perform. I also agree the Q will most likely be low. The capacitive
distribution will be interesting considering the turn to turn arrangement
as well as the even distribution around the coil. Should be rather high.

I'll begin looking around for a suitable form. If following measurements,
the coil ends up impractical, it should still make a decent topload.

Take care,
Bart