From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 1:53 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Synchro Motor & Caps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I think the MMC cap part has been adequately answered, but what's a
"reaction synchronous motor"?

Sync gap motors might use two different kinds of caps, unrelated to
MMC's.  The motors that I've seen (Teletype motors) typically have an
electrolytic START cap, used in conjunction with a starting relay.
Additionally, folks often add a remote phase controller consisting of a
small variac and a motor RUN cap.

Gary Lau
MA, USA