Re: Thyratron Tube

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>

Does anyone have a use for an Arcturus 885 Thyratron Tube?  Is it even
useful nowadays?  This is n.o.s., in its original box and must be 50+ years
old.

 >     To help some of us who don't know how to look up the specs, what are
its:

 >1. Voltage holdoff rating
 >2. Current rating
 >3. Is it hydrogen or mercury or ...?
 >
 >     Kinda doubting it's a monster since it was lumped with a bunch of
other tubes, but it *might* be useful if its voltage rating is past SCR
capabilities. Phil LaBudde

*********
I can't locate Arcturus data sheets but did find RCA, the electrical
characteristics 'should' be similar, couldn't say for sure though.  Per the
RCA data sheet:

Sweep-circuit service:

peak anode voltage = 300V
peak cathode current = 300mA
peak grid current = 1mA
peak voltage between any two electrodes or between any electrode and heater
= 350V

Relay and grid-controlled rectifier service:

peak anode voltage = 350V
peak cathode current = 300mA
ave. Cathode current = 75mA
peak voltage between any two electrodes or between any electrode and heater
= 350V

I'm thinking that it's a hydrogen type.  If it was mercury, wouldn't there
be a bit of metallic mercury loose within the tube which vaporizes during
operation?  There's no loose material inside this tube, so, hydrogen?
John