Re: power v energy measurements, was Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Thanks. You are correct. That should be watt seconds, not watts per second.
The watt second stuff is also wrong.  I really messed up that post. I will
try to get it right this time.

I have shown  in past posts how I tested my coil. The test showed that my
small coil will produce with an input energy of one joule an output of one
spark that is  8.25 inches long. This test is based on sound engineering
principles.  Before we can go any further this type of test should be
understood and  approved by the majority of coilers.

The math is grade school level. However, the concepts are a much higher
level.

The calcs for my test were as follows.
1. My coil wattmeter showed 120 watts for one second or 120 joules in one
second.
2. My coil output was 120 sparks for one second.
3. This gave 120 joules/120 sparks = one joule produced one spark
4. The spark was 8.25 inches long,
5. This gave 8.25 inches / one joule = 8.24 inches of spark for one joule of
energy input.

If you substitute the variables of any size or type of coil correctly and do
the math correctly as above you will find that the 8.25 inches is a record
that is hard to beat.

All comments -  please show your calcs as outlined 1 to 5 above so I will
understand what you mean..

  John Couture