Re: UHV power lines - was: this was probably really stupid

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Arpit,

Yes, you do raise a good point. To be perfectly honest, I'm not
100% sure that the NEW long transmission line suspension type
insulators are in fact rubber but I do know that they are much
slimmer and obviously also much lighter in weight that the old
stacked knox disc type. The idea of rubber came from my personal
experience with some new primary lines (13200/23000Y)that my lo-
cal utility company was installing near my home. They often lay
the new poles and insulators on the ground next to the overhead
old ones that they are replacing until they string up the new
lines and that was the case in this particular situation.
I was out jogging one day and happened to notice these new poles
with their insulators lying on the ground beside the road so my
curiousity got the best of me and I reached down to pick up one
of the new ridge pin insulators to get a closer look. Much to my surprise,
I discovered that this insulator was indeed made of rubber and
weighed a fraction of what it's old porcelain counterpart weighed.
When I say rubber, I mean soft pliable rubber similar in consistancy
to a heavy duty garden hose. I suppose the new suspension type of
insulators would indeed have to be made of something with a bit
more tensile strength than silicone rubber but they are no longer
using the stacked knox disc anymore either ;^)

David Rieben