RE: realistic expectations from mini coil ??

Original poster: "Tom Luttrell PWRCOM" <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

The new toroid sounds like it will make an appreciable difference. All
those little sparks are robbing energy from your main arc.

Also if you are using the building safety earth, which is not a terribly
reliable RF earth, you may improve things by connecting an earth mat
(counterpoise) to the base of your secondary.

Make it at least as big in radius as your coil is high. I use heavy duty
plastic coated aluminium (aluminum to you yanks) screen door mesh. It
connects in the centre via an M8  bolt where I have scraped some of the
plastic insulation back. Plastic coating is not required at all, any
conductive material even street signs will work, though maybe with some
eddy current losses. Also mesh rolls up nice and small when not needed or
for transport.

This counterpoise will help complete the capacitively coupled circuit
(through the air) from your top load streamers back to ground.

Tom L.