Quenching question.

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

After reading a bit more about arcs (still taking some of it in) quenching
occurs when the arc is cooled to the point where the air between the
electrodes can no longer stay in a plasma state.  This cooling can be done
by lowering the current through the arc or by external cooling like blowing
cool air or gas across the gap.

This got me curious.
Imagine TC built with a gap that used external cooling of the gap to aid in
quenching.

This cooling is variable and can be turned up or down to achieve optimum
output.
For this question I don't care how the cooling is done or if there is a
known way to get the amount of cooling needed.
Just imagine that it can be done to any level desired.

Obviously if the cooling were turned down the gap would heat up and not
quench fast enough to allow the TC to operate efficiently.
As the cooling were turned up and the gap starts to quench faster the TC
will perform better.
As the cooling is turned up and the quenching happens faster the time from
arc to quench gets shorter.
So when the gap is left to conduct too long it hinders the TC performance
and when the time of conduction is shortened the TC performance increases.

My question is this:
If a spark gap were made that could quench almost instantly after the arc
is established could it be too fast to allow the TC to give good performance?

In other words if the time the gap conducted were brought to a very short
time could it hinder performance of the TC?

It seems that if the time were too short, current would just start to flow
from the capacitor to the primary coil then the gap could be made
to  quench when only 1/16 of the power from the capacitor has emptied into
the primary.  This would prevent the primary / secondary coils from seeing
very much of the energy in the cap.

So do we want a gap that quenches real fast or do we want a gap that
quenches at just about the right amount of time?  We seem to go for a gap
that quenches very rapidly.  Could that be only because we can't get one to
quench fast enough yet, let alone one that quenches too fast?

Thanx

Luke Galyan
<mailto:Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>Bluu-at-cox-dot-net
http://members.cox-dot-net/bluu