Re: secondary question

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
>  >Long streamers are the
>  >result of repetitive growth along a hot and possibly partially
>  >ionized channel of air.
>OK, then why doesn't that hot and partialy ionized channel of air form down
>the middle of the secondary? :)
>Steve C.
>
>.

Steve,

Field Control.

The area along the outer horizontal edge of the toroid is the region of
highest E-field stress, so it becomes the point of initial breakout. The
region inside the secondary has a vertical E-field that's (approximately)
linear with height - corona does not easily form in a uniform E-field. If
you can prevent the corona, you can inhibit the early stages of streamer
development, and you'll prevent streamers from forming.

Beginners sometimes mistakenly drill a small hole in the coil form to run
the secondary wire up to the toroid. The stronger E-field near the small
wire now becomes a source of corona and streamers. Once started, the
initial corona is rapidly followed by streamers and arcing.

If you can assure that initial breakout always occur FIRST only in
desirable areas, protected regions (such as the region inside the secondary
or other areas with significantly higher breakdown voltage) will NOT break
down.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP