Re: Control transformer

Original poster: "Steve Zeitler" <zeitler-at-verizon-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 7:08 PM
Subject: Control transformer

 > Original poster: "GEORGE STEIN" <afa2fg-at-msn-dot-com>
 >
 > Good evening folks,
 >    I am looking for a schematic, wiring diagram or specs. on the control
 > transformer that is used by the noen folks to control the current in their
 > bombarders/pigs. It is, I think, a DC control voltage applied to windings
 > on a transformer that controls the amount of current allowed to be drawn
 > through it. ie ballasting...
 >
 > Thanx
 > George Stein
 >
 > _
 >
 >This sounds like a thing I saw once called a magnetic amplifier. Consider a
typical transformer core with 3 "legs".
The windings are wound on the center leg. The 2 outer legs complete the
magnetic path. In the magnetic amp, a "primary" winding was wound on each
outer leg. Another winding of many fine windings was put on the center leg.
AC was put on 1 of the primaries. The magnetic field ran thru the center leg
and little of it reached the other primary on the other outer leg so...
little output..
When a DC current was run thru the winding on the center leg, a common
magnetic field was created thru all 3 legs. The 1st primary driven by AC
input modulated the common field and the modulated field was picked up by
the other primary resulting in some output. The output AC could then be
controlled by a much smaller DC current on the center leg. I saw one of
these things once, it worked fine, with 0-100% output control.

Steve Z