Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

 > I think *all* generators before Tesla were DC, through commutation.
 > But even if they weren't, there were rotary AC-to-DC controllers.
 > I saw plans for one once, but it was a long time ago.
 > Dan K.

	There were AC generators before Tesla (except for homopolar generators,
all DC generators develop AC in the armature and rectify it to DC in the
commutator), but there weren't any useful AC MOTORS.  When I first moved
here to the LA area in 1947 there were quite a few substations for the
street car lines which contained "rotary converters", which are the
devices you refer to.  As contrasted to a dynamotor, these are
essentially an AC motor with commutator as well.  Some of the buildings
are still in place but don't appear to be in use.

Ed