RE: Magnetic gap experiment (was RE: Magnetic quenching.)

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Marco,

 >  > I used standard brass brazing rods with flux.
 >
 > Being a beginner too, I suppose you mean the usual rods used for
 > plumbing with copper pipes, right?

Yes, it's the same thing.  I saw another post that mentioned plumbers use
silver solder.  While this is true on standard plumbing, where high pressure
and high temperature occur (such as copper pipes being heated against a
woodstove), brass brazing is the preferred method for joining copper pipes.
I had to have someone braze my copper pipes for the heating baffle that
mounted directly on the outside of my woodstove.

 > Yesterday night I (sort of) replicated your experiment. Just two steel
 > bolts, two magnetron magnets, a 8000 kV NST and a variac. I really saw
 > the flame squeezed into a flat double drop, flattened on a plane
 > parallel to the magnet faces. As my setup was so poor, warming was
 > affecting my measurements. I could not notice any difference in the
 > quenching voltage but I did clearly notice one in the threshold one. No
 > doubt, with magnets in place the threshold voltage was LOWER!

That's good to hear.

 > Then I clamped the two magnets so that their field was in opposition. I
 > got the impression that the threshold voltage was lowered even further.
 > The flame now looked really scattered, extending over the bolts end. If
 > you imagine the right hand law I described above and the magnetic flux
 > line, you'll see that now electrons are literally thrown away from the
 > electrode axis.
 >
 > Corona also sounded different. With no magnets it was a 50 Hz constant
 > hissing, with magnets it was a unconstant crackling, starting at a lower
 > voltage (say at variac 200 VAC instead of 220 VAC).

It sounds like we're getting similar results.

 > P.S. You should try too with an opposing magnetic field, as you have got
 > more magnets than I have and report on your impressions and
 > measurements.

I'm going to wait until I get the digital watt meter Terry pointed to and a
digital video camera to record it.  This experiment is worthy of archiving
and studying more closely.

Dave