Re: CD 942 failure tonight

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 2/29/04 1:28:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

John,

Your SRSG phase may not be correct, and may be abusing
the caps.  The proper phase can be 20 degrees or so different
than what is suggested by using fluorescent light to set the phase.
The best way to set the phase (assuming no phase controller or
other type of remote phase controller) is
to rotate the motor in its cradle until the best spark lengths are
obtained by trial and error first at low power, then at higher power.
As the variac power is increased, the phase will need to be
readjusted for best results again by trial and error.  This method
will permit one to gradually ramp up the power without destroying
anything.  The *window* for proper phase adjustment is only a few
degrees.  Of course your safety gap should protect the caps, so
I'm not sure what is happening.  Someone with more MMC experience
may have more to say.

I'm assuming your rotary electrode spacing is very close also.
It should be usually 0.010" more or less.  I usually run mine
almost touching.  A too-wide spacing can cause a lot of misfiring
and problems.  I'm assuming too that your cap strings were
built according to the accepted methods for your voltage and
current.

John