Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Terry,

I had one of these CP caps explode in my lab when testing it for Don
Froula, a local coiling friend, back in 1996. It created a loud bang, and a
ball of yellow flame exited, creating one heck of an oily mess to clean up
afterwards. The wife was not amused. The posting and discussion can be seen
in the archives from 1996:
http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1996/october/msg00169.html

I've resurrected some of the pictures of the capacitor remains and an X-ray
of a good cap (taken by another owner of one of these caps) that shows the
four internal series elements. The elements are soldered to thin copper
straps and then slid into the PVC tube. See:

http://205.243.100.155/photos/HVStuff/CapExp/CAP2.GIF
http://205.243.100.155/photos/HVStuff/CapExp/CAP4.GIF
http://205.243.100.155/photos/HVStuff/CapExp/CAP5.GIF
http://205.243.100.155/photos/HVStuff/CapExp/CAP6.jpg
http://205.243.100.155/photos/HVStuff/CapExp/CapXray.JPG

CP later made good to all buyers in the group by offering to replace the
caps. Unfortunately, CP later decided to exit the Tesla Coil capacitor
business. The failure mode analysis of the defective cap can be found here:
http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1996/october/msg00729.html

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP