Re: First Italian teslathon, PICS available! :-)

The cylinder with two hemispheres on each end is a very popular style for
VDGRF design.  It allows a very wide belt to be used which translates into
relatively high output currents --- usually several hundred mA.  We rebuilt
one with this style terminal (84 inch dia.) for the Science Museum of
Minnesota and it put out over 330 mA when energized.

The rings are a voltage grading system which allows for more accurate
voltage regulation which is necessary for nuclear experiments with heavy
ions, etc.  These are not usually required for home brew VDGRFs unless
you're going to do accelerator experiments.

You can form a simple voltage grading system by winding two turns of bare
copper wire, 12 AWG, around the central insulating column every 12 inches.
At one point where the copper wire ends twist in around the 2 turns and form
a sharp point leading downward toward the next ring.  This allows leakage
and provides a more even potential gradient along the belt and insures
better regulation at the top terminal.  1/2 inch dia. copper tubing soldered
into rings also work.  They are usually suspended with a few drops of
silicone on 120 degree spacings.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.