Re: really cool link to so cool effect's

Hi,

Most people that do the human fireball stunt learned it directly from
others.  That way they could learn the many "important tips" like not
setting your hair on fire or not pulling an arc off your nose...  As far as
I know, Henry Transtrom was the "first" person to do the trick.  Transtrom
was a electrical engineer and showman with vast knowledge of AC high
voltage electricity.  He was well skilled to "try it first".  Of course, he
was also the "first" to get killed....

Tesla may have done similar things, but I think Transtrom is the person who
really made the "big show".  Of course, Tesla got the crap shocked out of
him in 1895 by a 3 foot power arc to his shoulder which almost killed
him.  His assistant snapped the power off instantly saving him...

Forgive if we all get pretty scared when people start asking about sitting
on coils or playing with arcs.  There is a vast amount of really bad
information out there and the possibility of somebody casually trying and
dying is high.  The expert's really only claim to fame is that they have
not died yet...  It is sort of like Robert Knievel teaching somebody how to
do motor cycles stunts.  He may be the best at it, but...

Also, today's Tesla coils are significantly more powerful than the
cardboard and plate glass coils of yesterday.  A relatively small NST
system can easily rival the usual stunt coils of times gone by.  Unlike a
kid in the 50's wiring up a coil to make 6 inch arcs.  Today, the same kid
can push 6 foot arcs!!  As we get better at making coils, the dangers also
increase...  In general, touching arcs in anyway is just not safe at all
and we are not real anxious to help people try.

Cheers,

         Terry