Re: Hmmmm...(was CDE 942c20p15k Group buy)

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Um, you should check your math again ;)  14kVp / 7 caps = 2kV....   also,
14kV ~ 10kV * sqrt(2)  I don't think even the most conservative TC designer
out there would claim to need 25caps with a 10kV NST.  If I have understood
Dr. Resonance's MMC recommendations correctly, he would use an MMC designed
for 25kVDC for a 10kV NST, or only 13 caps in series....

CDE 942C caps have been tested to withstand 5kV or more before an internal
breakdown.  Self healing allows "many" internal breakdowns.  Terry's tests
can be read here:
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/GeekCaps/GeekCaps.htm

Later tests had similar results.

Terry, as well as several others with far more experience than I, have
"signed off" on the MMC design chart on our site.  And it seems to work as
almost no one with an MMC designed by our chart, built by our guide, hooked
up to a competently built TC, and run by a competent operator has had a
failure.

In the end the MMC debate, like the Linux vs. Windows or Mac vs PC, is just
another dichotomy - some people like them, some people don't.

And why do I feel like I'm talking to the wind? :o)  I'm talking, but it
seems no one is listening...  or at least the intended party isn't.  Oh
well. <insert rolling eyes smilie here>

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group