Re: coil setup

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Richard Modistach" <hambone-at-dodo-dot-com.au>
 >
 > i was going to connect the bottom of the
 > secondary to the strike rail and to the center
 > of the terry filter and to the center tap\case of
 > the nst to a ground rod, not planning on
 > connecting to the primary.
 > i thought i did my homework,
 > does this sound right ?

Yes. I think that this the most usual connection. I would prefer to
connect the case of the NST and the center of the filter to a separate
ground, that can be the power line ground. The reason is that if the
ground connection is not good, what you actually have is a long wire
serving as a counterpoise. This puts some RF in the ground connection,
and it may stress the insulation between the case of the NST and
the power lines.

In my coils I always use a counterpoise and no ground, and
leave the NST case floating. But my NST has a single floating
output, and I connect one side to the counterpoise. My NST has then
some RF in the case, and I keep it insulated, over a thick plastic
block,
hoping that the insulation to the power lines will not fail...

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz