Re: coil setup

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
 >
 > If a 60 Hz source such as a pole xmfr is directly connected to a coil of
 > wire that has a relatively low resistance, ie, 20-100 Ohms, and you touch
 > the output end, you will probably die or get seriously burned.  20-100 Ohms
 > is not enough series resistance to stop 14.4 kV at over 750 mA.  Your 70%
 > water body and this resistance now become the load (there is no decoupling
 > because there is no resonance at 60 Hz with this coil) and you will get
 > cooked by the 5-10 kVA power level in milliseconds.

Observe that in an Oudin coil the primary coil is, at 60 Hz,
short-circuiting the bottom of the secondary coil to ground. I think
that we are considering the connections (see with a fixed-width font):

.      o---+--C1--+--L2--(terminal)
.   pig   gap     L1

So, to have significant 60 Hz at the output, the gap would have to be
not conducting, and the primary coil must be open. This may happen if,
for example, a tap in the primary coil gets loose. Even so, there is
C1 and L2 in the way (but they would limit the current in a too high
value).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz