SSTC Reliability

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters-at-konnections-dot-net>

This is directed to those members that have experience with large SSTCs,
high powered induction heaters, particle accelerator Klystron drivers and
other applications using high power semiconductor arrays at RF.

My question is, what is the likelyhood of being able to produce high powered
SSTCs (e.g. 10 KVA or more) with museum quality reliability?   That is,
coils that one can trust to run several times a day, day after day, year
after year, without exploded IGBT bricks and other failures?  Can reliable
"overload" monitoring, anti-shoot-through, shutdown and restart protective
circuitry be developed?  We know the challenges - highly variable secondary
loads and reflected impedance changes, severe RFI and EMI for the driver and
protection circuits, etc.  Quite an engineering challenge.

Thanks,
--Steve Y.