RE: I slotted my 1256B variac core, now...

Original poster: "Terry Oxandale" <toxandale-at-cei-dot-net>

I was able to do it with one SawzAll blade, but I had to let the saw cool
down a couple of times in the process. To hold the core together, I removed
one of the 4 posts (those that position the core between the aluminum
framing) from the side of the core that was opposite of the side I was make
the cut on, and re-installed it in an empty hole in the frame next to the
cutting location and the other side of the cut already had a post positioned
there). This then provided support on both sides of the cut to keep the core
round (I cut the core at a location centered between the ends of the
winding). As I completed the cut, it became obvious the core laminations
were beginning to spread out in the immediate vicinity of the cut (about an
inch on either side), but the posts did a good job of restricting the
expansion of the laminations. To complete the process, I used a good sized
C-clamp (with a 3/4" thick piece of nylon block on the inside and outside,
of the core's new gap, as  arbors) to squeeze the core's laminations back
together snuggly. At this point the gap spread out to a slightly larger
width of about .100" from the original .060". I then filled this gap with a
high temp epoxy. Once the epoxy hardened, I removed the clamp, and the coil
retained the shape without any of the laminations popping out. I may
fabricate an extra post so that I can leave the displaced post in place just
to make sure the core will hold its shape later on as the variac is moved
and bumped around.

(un)Terry