Re: I slotted my 1256B variac core, now...

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

How are you clamping the laminations together?  A couple nuts and bolts?

Adding even a very narrow air gap should virtually eliminate the chance of
saturation.

A friend went through several SawzAll blades before taking it to a machine
shop, who I guess also went through a good bandsaw blade.  I have since
mused about mounting a 3-stack on a "good-sized" vertical end mill and
using a 1/2" cutter to make a gap.  But then we got a dedicated reactive
ballast that limits the 240V line to 80A (so that was a 19kVA Jacobs Ladder
for those who attended our event last weekend!), and we lost the desire to
slice variacs.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group