Re: SSTC Reliability

Hi Steve,

You carefully design it for 100% and then run it at 25% ;-))

It would be as reliable as any IGBT generator.  Probably not a good super
long term machine since electrolytic caps and all would die just from
age.  Getting parts 50 years out would be a problem let alone finding
anyone who knew how to fix it.  Trace bits of chlorine and such in the ICs
would kill it in about 100 years...  Try to find parts they use in space
craft.  I have a 486-50 Intel processor just like is in the Hubble ;-)   To
this day, the Space Shuttles main engines use magnetic core memory from the
60's.  It survived the Challenger explosion...

No problem for say 20 years out since the glass coating industry and all
uses pretty darn reliable AC generators now.  Under sea com equipment is
"burned in" for 5 years before installation...

You would have to build it like those super high end audio amplifiers whose
parts simply don't degrade with time.  MiIitary/Space hermetic parts...

Document everything so those that have to make "modern" replacements, 100
years from now, will know what to do. Be sure the "paper/ink" those
documents are written on will last that long too!!

Today's parts are just made too cheap and short term so you have to get
pretty extreme about finding super long term reliable parts.  This is one
vast advantage of the old spark gap systems ;-)

Find an antique electronics store and note what fails, and what does
not.  Older IC's from the 70's were much tougher, but not as capable.  Most
modern plastics will fall apart after 100 years.  And all this is even
before you turn it on...

I note we had tube based line carrier amps that were working perfectly fine
after 50 years with zero care.  But they were "built" for it!!  Those tubes
were running at about 10% ;-))  Modern version had three pound transistor
heat sinks dissipating two watts...  The line power industry is pretty good
at making equipment that lasts forever...

Heatsink grease turns to dust after 20 years...  Just don't use anything "wet".

Making machines that are designed to last and operate for say 500 years is
really hard...  But a fascinating area of study!  I am making an autonomous
robot that "lives" in the wilderness indefinitely.  Batteries are the
limiter there along with temperature, humidity, animal attacks....

Cheers,

         Terry