RE: Side-wise Vectors?????

Original poster: "boris petkovic" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Steve wrote:

 > >No, I think it's more likely the magnetic field of
 > the secondary (and/or
 > >primary) coil. This is orders of magnitude greater
 > than the earth's field, I
 > >(and others) have seen it deflect the beam on an
 > oscilloscope near the coil
 > >through about 1/4".
-----
The same you can do using much simplier tools than
coils.Permanent magnets,things like that ;-)
No more joking all right)

IIRC readings,Tesla once (1892?) constructed a highly
exhausted "lamp" ( highest attainable vacuum he could
reach at the time).While operated,it used to generate
a thin beam of electrons extremly sensitive to EM
enviroment.More correctly,any change in it,not just to
magnetic fields.He hoped it would find application in
telegraphy.Unfortunately,nothing useful became of that
invention.
I find it worth a mention here since conditions in the
presence of gas media and in scope with vacuum or in
refered "lamp" make a big difference for the relevance
of forces that shape observed effects.
-----

 > In a SSTC,
 > the primary and
 > >secondary currents are theoretically in phase with
 > each other, and are zero
 > >at the instant when the topload voltage is maximum.
 > As far as we know, the
 > >discharge only grows for a short time around the
 > topload voltage maximum, so
 > >it should see practically no field.
 > >
 > >So maybe streamer growth occurs at different times
 > than we thought, or maybe
 > >the magnetic field driving the corkscrew effect
 > comes from the primary.
 > >Under heavy loading, the primary current in an
 > untuned primary SSTC starts
 > >to lag the secondary current, and so the primary
 > field could be non-zero
 > >during the streamer growth time.
 > >
 > >If my hypothesis was right, then in a tuned primary
 > coil such as a VTTC or
 > >CW-DRSSTC, you should be able to make the corkscrew
 > go in either direction,
 > >or disappear altogether, by adjusting the primary
 > tuning (which can make the
 > >primary current lead or lag the secondary)

-----
There might be some influence of SSTC B-field to
direction of spark.At this point I can't completely
exclude this possibilty.
But I said *might* becouse my gut feel tells me it is
insignificant.There's nothing in spark appearance so
far I can attribute to coil B-fields.
IMO,cork-screw sparks,considering here just  VTTCs and
STTCs,are the mere consequence of operating mode and
gas plasma dynamics, thermal effects in particular.
Besides,I reckon this is practicaly proven by people
who experimented with phase control on their SSTCs
(half wave excitation,full wave etc,etc) and observed
various spark features like corkscrewing,branching or
lack thereof.

regards,
Boris