Re: Coil size to faraday cage size ratio

Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Finn,

Was the measurement made using a shielded loop or a dipole antenna, and at
what frequency range(s), and at what distance(s)? In any event, the EMI
measurement was made within the "near field" (a distance less than
Lambda/2*Pi from the source). And, although it's likely that your current
Faraday cage may work fairly well for damping the E-field around your coil,
unless your shield uses high Mu material the near field magnetic induction
field is probably passing right through your Faraday shield.

The low frequency near-field magnetic component can be a very significant
problem, especially when dealing with equipment that uses low frequency
(<200 kHz) and high current loops (i.e., induction heating, air core RF
transformers, and SSTC's). The problem becomes worse as you lower the
operating frequency. Fortunately, the near H-field declines as the cube of
the distance, so doing the EMI measurement at a further distance may help
bring you closer to spec... but probably not by a factor of 100. If the EMC
test that failed used a loop antenna, you were picking up the H induction
field. You'll probably need to use magnetic shielding material in your
Faraday cage in order to effectively shield it.

Best regards,

-- Bert --