Re: Spark Shield

Hi Greg,

A "shield" for spark is not so easy.  Tesla had to put up grounded wires on
his roof to keep from burning the Colorado Springs lab down.  The wire
attracts the arcs and safely grounds the current away, much like a
lightning rod.

About the only way I know of making something that will hold off +300kV
sparks is to use many many layers (like 50) of poly plastic sheeting like
is sold for paint covers.  The many layers will add up to hold off the
extreme voltages at high frequency.  However, there is still a danger of
setting the mess on fire which would probably be pretty bad.

The arcs are attracted to anything the has a dielectric constant higher
than air, which is just about everything.  Nothing will tend to "repel" the
arcs.  Tesla coil arcs will happily blow right through plate glass and
such.  Perhaps heavy thick plastic...  Beware Lexan since it burns like
gasoline once it gets started.  So some thick (1/2 inch) not very flammable
plastic with a low dielectric constant...

It might be easiest to try and lower the coil or find someplace with a
higher ceiling.

Cheers,

         Terry