Terry's DRSSTC

Hi All,

I have been working on “my” DRSSTC :-) I have Dan's Resonant Driver Board
put together without too many left over parts ;-) Real nice stuff Dan has
figured out!

Today I worked on the input section design. I went with a voltage doubler
so I can run fully off 120VAC. I also added a bunch of heavy
filtering/protection for the AC line.

<http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/DRSSTC/DRSSTCinput.gif>http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/DRSSTC/DRSSTCinput.gif

It runs off my 15 amp variac box so there is no soft start. The MOVs and
hydraulic breaker protect the line from the usual over voltage and shorting
events. The filter is a dual stage type to cut RFI and all that. The two
diodes are “slightly” over rated since I hate blowing stupid diodes ;-) The
220uF caps and 1 ohm resistors form a low pass filter (might need poly MF
bypass too?). Right now it is a rather low Fc frequency since I suspect
that the resistance will have to be smaller in the long run. The resistors
also happily control fault currents “if” things go nukies. The main caps
are four 4700uF 200V caps and two 1000 ohm 100W resistors to drain them.
Hmmm... Maybe those should have been 10K/25W... :o) No wonder I have so
many extra parts laying around :D

I think there should be some big poly caps right “at” the IGBTs. I note
some of Dan's coil pictures show these. I worry that the big electrolytics
may not like 300 amp 200kHz stuff and may wimp out. I have some 4.7uF 600V
500Ap polys that I can mount right on the IGBTs This may also relieve the
need for such heavy copper buss work to the IGBTs. Electrolytics just are
not “RF” things. Note the fancy stereo amps that have electrolytics for LF,
film for MF, and mica for HF all in parallel for wide band frequency
bypassing. This same input power system may have uses for OLTC stuff too,
noting Steve's successes in heavy DC power for OLTCs ;-))

I hope to run my existing coils off it. My big coil can play tuning tricks
toward reducing primary current which helps the IGBTs. I could also make
new coils, but later when I know what needs to be optimized.

So I am “trying” to get a DRSSTC going here too ;-)) If all else fails,
Gerry just got a pole pig :-))

Cheers,

Terry

BTW – Details of my tube coil are at: