Re: newbie question - spark gap and toroid

Original poster: "Brett Miller" <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Shu,

(http://web.singnet-dot-com.sg/~shuhuang/tesla_coil_lab.jpg
 > ), ~210mm wide and
 > 320mm in diameter, as a toroid but I suspect a
 > traditioanl toroid might
 > work better. Believe it or not, I'm actually having
 > a hard time flexible
 > drainage pipe. It's apparently not used very often
 > any more...where I live
 > (SIngapore) anyway. I came across the pool float
 > toroid design on a
 > webpage, and I've found one on sale cheap. It's 23"
 > in diameter and 8"
 > thick. Is that too big a toroid for my 15kV 30mA,
 > 90mm 900 turns AWG 24
 > wire secondary coil, set up?

Enter those proposed toroid dimentions, plus your
current coil specifications through JavaTC:

http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javatc.html

If you can tune with that toroid using your current
primary turns or by adding a few, then your
performance should be great with that huge toroid.

-Brett