Rotary Spark Gap Design

Original poster: "Rajesh Seenivasan" <rajeshkvs@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear forum members,

I'm planning to build a rotary spark gap:
8 spinning electrodes mounted on a wooden disc,
2 stationary electrodes,
brass bolts used as electrodes.

I have seen in some Tesla coil designs that the AC input voltage is stepped up to few kilo volts
(using NSTs/PolePigs), rectified and then fed to the tesla coil circuit that is using the spark gap.
Can I run the tesla coil without stepping up the AC input voltage ? I'm planning to use
440VAC input, rectify it and then feed this DC voltage to the tesla coil circuit which uses a
rotary spark gap. Any advice ?

Thanks in advance,
Rajesh.