Re: Long Pulse IGBT GDT design / HV-OLTC

Original poster: sparktron01-at-comcast-dot-net

Hi Jim

Optocouplers are available to 3.75kV isolation (Toshiba TLP250 / TLP351
family).
However to make work on a series switch requires an isolated current loop drive
for each level of the switch for isolated +/- DC power for the optocoupler
driver.  Then you still need a fiber-optic link bewteen your  main pulse
generator and each level of the switch.  I've seriously looked at the
Toshiba OC approach, and the part count, isolated DC power supply
availability (and cost) and circuit synchronization issues make that
approach quite unreasonable, at least for "us guys"...  :^D

The AN950 International Rectifier approach as mentioned by Jan appears to
be, at least on the surface, a much more reasonable and maybe reliable
alternative.

I'm feasibility testing at this point, but at least I see a vision where I
want to go...
the HV-OLTC based on a series stack IGBT switch.  2.4kV PT powered by an
IGBT AC chopper (pulse by pulse current limiting) into a resonant charging
stage as previously used by other experimenters (notably Steve Conner among
others).  8 series switch sections with Vbalancing circuit and TVS
protection using 1.2kV IGBT's
powered at a peak charging voltage of 6.8kV; shooting for a HONEST 1.0MW
ring wave power (4.0MW peak [6.8kV * Ipeak ring wave] ). He.., I'm using
samples at this point, and have 20 more coming, might as well enjoy the
sparks (and IGBT detonations)...   :^)

But first steps will involve building a prototype pulse generator
controller and SSVariac, and 1.2kV level switch running at 1.0kV, and take
it to detonation to determine maximum Ipk my devices can tolerate, what
drive levels are needed for optimal performance, and GDT / gate drive
design.  I have some new IXYS gate drivers that can sink or source up to
30A pulse (8A DC continuous) that will be used for switch triggering
loop.  The point is the hardware and published technology (circuits and
validation of dynamic balancing) has recently become available; so there is
at least a glimmer of hope of making this concept work...

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA