RE: Hey Terry

Hi Dan,

I have the 5400A Deluxe Mill Package and later the DRO (8100).  Mcmaster
sells ever bit imaginable so I get them from there since I like fancy Ti-N
bits.  I would definitely recommend a small Chinese grinding style vice
($40) since they are very sturdy and fit perfectly.  I did get the little
three jaw lathe chuck too (It fits in the mill ;-)) to do round work.  It
actually works find for short stuff.  I also have the 4 inch rotary table
for things like wheels.  I would count on spending about $2500 by the time
you have all the "extra toys" too you really want ;-))  Things like $120
set of machine wire drills just keep adding up.  But eventually you end up
with quite a selection of things that can do ANY small task easily.  The
mill cost as much as a cheap full sized one, but it is very high quality
and will last just about forever.  McMaster also delivers all the raw stock
in modest quantities to your door.

The thing is extremely versatile.  I have spent a lot on gage blocks,
micrometers, alignment tools and other Starrett things too.  In general,
you can bolt down and cut up things about the size of your hand with
it.  Things not fitting in it has never been a problem for me.  It is
pretty wide open around the table.  You can actually over extend the reach
by adding "more" extension blocks too.  It is all just bolt together stuff
so you can do just about anything.  A cheap Sears $120 little band saw is
real nice for chopping things to size too.  McMaster sells blades for them
that will cut a car in half as opposed to the dumb Sears blades that wont
cut wood twice... Get a little cheap ~2 gal shop vac too!!!

It is not vastly powerful so you need to go a little slow with hard
things.  It can do very high <1mill tolerance if you really need.  It
actually does things bigger than the $500 Harbor Freight mess that is pure
garbage...  There is a big Yahoo group too...  Sherline folks are "real
friendly" to if you need any help.

They go on Ebay for just about new (or higher!!) prices if you can find
them at all.  People don't "get rid" of them ;-))  They will sell their
liver and kidneys first :o))  The CNC stuff is not useful unless you want
to make like 20 of one part or odd 3-D milling.  All my stuff is pretty
much one and two stuff.  The DRO is pretty much NOT an option.

If you can afford to spend the cash, you will never regret spending it on
this!!  You can spend the hours making all sort of cool things and it will
all actually fit!!

Just buy one.  If you are really strange and don't like it, sell it on Ebay
for $50 more than you paid for it ;-))  But you will NEVER sell it...  Get
the goofy Sherline books too since they really help if you don't know
anything about machining.

Cheers,

         Terry