Re: Trial and error

Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Has anyone ever told you, you have too much time on your hands?
I get it all the time.
I suck at designing stuff. Whenever I actually draw the stuff I'm building, It's just a waste of time and effort.
Nothing ever turns out how I designed it. I always end up improvising. It's fun to improvise. And you know what they say, Ignorance is bliss! :)
I'll make you a deal. If you make a TC whithout calculting first, I'll make one after doing the calculations first. I'll even count the number of turns on my secondary.
Or, maybe not. I don't know if I have enough time or money to do that. I've been working on it all semester, and it's expensive. The wire for the secondary alone cost me $25, The caps $54, and with the number of times I've redone the primary, I don't know how much that's cost, but it's cost alot.Although, my NST only cost $10. :)

Steven Steele ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:21 PM Subject: Re: Trial and error

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 3 Apr 2005, at 12:31, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Have any of you guys ever just built a good TC by trial and error? Or
> do ya'll always do quantom physics calculations first? LOL.
>                                    Steven Steele

My best coil was designed on the back of an envelope (literally!)
over a cup of tea during a 20 minute tea break. I resonated at
exactly the frequency it was designed to do so and, most crushing of
all for the relativistic afficionados, was designed using simple
lumped parameters. I did make room for consideration of losses due to
skin/proximity effects but a decision to spacewind with a 1:1
wire/space ratio plus a suitable wiresize for its (lowest) frequency
of operation based on a simple guideline kept the quantum genie
firmly corked up in its bottle.

Malcolm