RE: Magnifier Driver coil design

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>At the lowest tuning, the currents seem
>predictable and the coil is generally well-behaved.  At higher
>tunings, i get sort of a "notched" primary waveform, where the current
>peaks after maybe 15 cycle at a low current (about 100A) then dips
>near zero, then rises about 4x as high in another 20 cycles or so!

When it goes crazy like that, my guess is that the streamer loading is
actually pulling the secondary resonant frequency below the primary and
making it hop between the two poles (or something)

If you tune the primary low enough, it can't pull the secondary down far
enough to make this happen, so it sticks on the lower pole at all times
which I guess is why you see that it's "stabilised" and running smoothly.

That's what I think is going on.

Steve Conner