Re: Magnifier Driver coil design

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/18/05 9:31:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

You mention using very wide diameter coils, even for the extra coil.
What is the reason for this?

Steve,

it's too keep the wire resistance lower.  Since the resonator is
building up energy slower than a spark gap coil perhaps, then
the coil's Q should be more important.  I'm not sure if it would
make a noticeable difference, but I was responding mostly to
the 46awg aspect anyway there.

As to the driver coil:  Im somewhat hesitant to go with such thick
wire as 16awg because i dont think i will reach my desired inductance
at a reasonable coil length or diameter.  Its hard to find coil forms
larger than 12.75" here (largest sono-tube available at home depot),
so i was basing my design off of that.  An 18" long winding with 20awg
gives me an inductance in the 40-50mH range. I think that i want to
keep my L2:L3 ratio about 1:3.5 to 1:4, but this is only based on the
fact that it would allow for up to K=.25 overall, if we were to
pretend L2 and L3 were the same coil of wire.  All of my experience
says that DRSSTCs need the high coupling in the .25 range to work
efficiently.

20awg wire should be OK.

Cheers,
John

I will have to keep playing with the numbers.

Steve