Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Sebastiaan Draaisma <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chiang Mai, Saturday, April 9, 2005

Posted by:

Posted on: Saturday, April 9, 2005

Hello Steve,

That sounds interesting! Would you like to share your knowledge on how to build your own transformer, I have been looking on google but, not much information in the first 100 results :)

I already wanted to experiment with trying to rewind the secondary of a MOT, but if you had success building your own in a different way, I rather try that approach.

Best regards,

Sebastiaan Draaisma

Tesla> Original poster: Steve Ward <<mailto:steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Tesla> On Apr 8, 2005 9:39 AM, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Original poster: Jim Lux <<mailto:jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> You'll never get that, not because of breakdown, but because the primary of

 >> the second transformer will be horribly saturated by putting 2400V on it.

>> I doubt you could put 150V into a MOT without encountering saturation.

Tesla> Hah, 150V? try 120V.  Most of the MOTs ive played with start

Tesla> saturating at about 90VAC input.  They typically have a power factor

Tesla> of .12 at full input voltage, though this was with an open circuit on

Tesla> the HV secondary.  I think the PF might have gotten up to .4 or so

Tesla> with a heavy load... still junk in my opinion.  I guess im lucky

Tesla> enough to know how to use silicon (IGBTs) and ferrite to make my HV

Tesla> transformers... 6kVA at about 10 lbs ;-)  and no, they dont saturate.

Tesla> Steve Ward