To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:43 PM
Subject: From Portugal-tungsten electrodes

Original poster: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?_Lu=EDs?=
<jose-luis@xxxxxxx>

Hi,

First, thank you all for the worm welcome. I never thought that this list
was so active and had so many members. It's a good surprise.
When I first read about tesla ciols and spark gaps. the first material I
thought using for it was a Tig tungsten electrode. I'm a blacksmith and
I've been using hem for quite a while. But I also remenbered that every
time I forget to open the Argon gaz, the electrode melts instantly. But I
don't know the results without trying, tomorrow I'm going to by some
thicker electrodes, mine arre just 2mm diameter.
I also thought about using plasma cutting electrodes. they are made of
copper with a nucleum of tusgstem. The copper even has a thread in its
body so they are easily fitted. There's also carbon arc welding
electrodes. They arre used to make grooves and for cutting. I never worked
with it but I believe they withstand large currents without melting. When
I was in High school I used carbon electrodes from used 4,5v batteries to
make electric arcs using a regular AC welding machine. They didn't wear
out easily.
Sorry if I took too much of your time, I should have consulted the
archives to see if this subject had already been treated, but I didn't get
the time yet and I thought the subject followed the thread of the list.

Thank you all.

Sorry for any mispelling but i'm not from a english talking country.

Jose Luis