Re: From Portugal-tungsten electrodes

Original poster: Luc Benard <ludev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jose Luis,

Just forget the carbon arc welding rod, they are tuff but they are build to sustain the arc; in the center they are dope with a material (I don't remember witch one) but this material is a good electron emitter when heated, exactly the inverse of what you need for a good gap because with that the gap will never quench. May be you could make a good gap with plasma cutter electrode especially if you put them face to face and blow air trough there hole, but verified the kind you have, because all the electrode I saw for plasma cutter use a hafnium or hafnium composite ( carbide or nitride sometime with zirconium ) nucleus instead of tungsten because at high temperature in presence of air tungsten oxide to rapidly. I don't know how this material will behave in a gap.

English is not my natural language ether but people here seem to understand that ;-)

Cheers,

Luc Benard