Re: marx

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 11 Apr 2005, at 7:59, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Grishka <ghome@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hello, Tesla List,
>
> I wonder - does anyone of you have practical formulas (links, pdf`s
> etc) about constructing the Marx generator? I`m interested in optimal
> resistors values, number of stages and so on. In plans I`m going to
> build something like this - one stage consists of 4 capacitors, total
> capacitance - 4.7 nF, total voltage - around 13 kV. Number of stages -
> 15, resistors - I guess 1 mom wouls be ok for such application. I`ve
> been looking such info via internet, but with zero results :( I
> appreciate any advices ;)

Use chokes instead of resistors. The benefits: much faster and more
efficient charging (far less resistive loss). As to the values,
mileage varies. There is balance between charge time and sufficiently
high impedance at discharge time. I built two working Marx banks,
both of which used chokes wound on ferrite rods. I spoeculated at the
time that suitably sizing the components might allow resonant
charging at mains or some other nominated frequency but pursuing the
idea is way down my list of things to do.

Malcolm