Re: New Coil

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wonder what kind of gap ALF is gonna be using? I can't picture scaling up a rotating disc and also speeding it up indefinitely without it flying apart at some point, even if it's G-10 or 11. May multiple smaller discs spinning counter-clockwise to each other? Or maybe run at higher than the usual 14.4 kV to reduce current to sane levels?

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: New Coil

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Another problem begins to occur around 0.3 uF.  We were literally melting
1/2 inch dia. tungsten electrodes bonded to copper.  We had to go to a 30
inch dia. rotor for Big Bruiser with 1 inch dia. tungsten electrodes.
Higher rotational speed plus larger electrodes are carrying the 5,000 Amp
plus currents.  This coil was running off a 14.4 kV pole xmfr operating at
26.4 kVA.

These big coils tend to get expensive --- fast!!!

Dr. Resonance