Re: New Coil

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

They work fine on 12kv nst's (about a dozen 3-5 min runs and still ticking in a bigger coil with more in series), explode after a few min on 15kv ones (makes a nice 12" blue/orange fireball tho with a big mess).

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: New Coil

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx
-snip-

In a message dated 4/24/05 3:27:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I plan on using my welder for current control and
either my two 1256's or my three 540 volt 30 amp
voltpac stack. I currently use my maxwells three deep,
but may only use them two deep for 75 nF 70 kV rating,
which is kinda small for a coil this size. I'm afraid
to use them as 300 nF 35 kV, as this seems to be too
close to the edge. I have no idea how rough a life
these guys had before I got them.

Adam

Adam,

I have a couple of those Maxwell caps also, and as you, have been concerned about using only one and have always used the two in series. I have read where lots of folks on this list have the same caps. Is anyone only using them individually, or multiple in parallel? If so, with what power supply? I would feel ok at say 10 kv but both of my coils use a 15 kv supply and I have just been chicken to find out what kind of voltage they can really take.

Ed Sonderman