Re: Russian high-voltage installation (being scrapped?)

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It's a bit small (looking at picture #2
http://www.mobilemafia.ru/hv/highvoltage2.JPG),  but it strongly resembles
the big Marx impulse generator in the 100+ meter spark photo in Bazelyan and
Raizer. Maybe this is a standard design for something?

Photo 7 looks like some sort of test setup for various bundling/corona ring
configurations for EHV lines. That's a pretty long insulator string.

Photo 8 is clearly a classic cascade HV generator, with transformers
cascaded to get higher voltages.  Sort of the "real thing" for my stack of
C&H 4500V illumination transformers.  It looks almost exactly like the
schematic diagram you see in HV texts.

Photo 17 shows a wire going from one of the cylindrical structures to the
transmission line between the "bridges"

Photo 20 should need no explanation.. It's a BIG marx stack.
Photo 24 is obviously a big capacitor (I can't read Russian, but the word at
the top has just got to be Capacitor.. P is like R in english.  kB is
probably kV (B in Cyrillic is like V in English)
200 uF?  the Cyrillic Phi might be F, and the MK could be micro.

Photo 29, I think the bottom line is Electronic Apparatus, but I'm purely
guessing.

Photo 30 makes it look like they have a cascade for energizing the test line
to a fairly high voltage (say, 750 kV), and the cylindrical structures
either generate an overvoltage, or are holding measurment systems.

Photo 35 is cool.  Goes to show that most of big HV engineering is
structural, not electrical.

Interesting, I always think of the big toroids and corona suppression things as being made of aluminum (to keep them lightweight), but these are obviously made of steel. And whynot. You're already building a structure to hold a multitone oil insulated transformer up there, the extra weight from the giant steel toroid is negligible, and it's a lot easier to fabricate, and much cheaper to buy. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>; <terrellf@xxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 9:04 PM Subject: Russian high-voltage installation (being scrapped?)